Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ode to You

There was once a time, a boy I knew.
We talked on every day.
We laughed and played and it was great.
That's more than I can say.
On the phone, we used to chat
and talk for hours too.
We grew quite close, or so I thought.
(That's how I think of you.)

And up you went, you disappeared.
I didn't know what to do.
But still a loyal friend I was.
I always wrote to you.
The fourth day, the second month,
a card, I sent by mail.
To let you know I was still there.
But always, did I fail.

The cards came back, the thoughts astray.
I thought the worst for years.
But through those years, I never stopped.
I wouldn't accept those fears.

Upon stroke of luck, your face I saw.
The brother, I mistook.
So I made signs, "PLEASE FRIEND OF MINE",
Please read and take a look.
My plan was good, I found once more
the one I thought was you.
He helped me out, I thanked him then,
and to my home, I flew.

I found your name, I wrote to you.
But letter, did you deny.
I understand, I really do.
But just answer me this: why?
I remember back, back in those days.
your words at half past 3.
"Please don't do it, I really care.
You're like a sister to me."

So all I ask is that you think,
please listen when I say
that I have not forgotten you.
Those words stalk me today.
I never lied, I meant it then.
My words, I remember, too.
"Dear friend, you've been so kind to me,
and for that, do I thank you."

Dear friend, these words I write in hopes
that you will lay eyes on.
Would I so write something so clear
If I had wanted you gone?
I still care, I still remember
the thoughtful things you'd said.
And all I ask, on this cold day
is the hope that you have read.

I finish now, on this last verse.
It's corny, yes... and no.
But I've only wanted to see you.
I only wanted to know.
I cannot stress how deeply glad
I am to have found you.
but this is not enough, you see.
I wish you'll talk to me, too.

No comments: